Prom themes can be creative, poorly thought-out, or non-existent. For the prom committee, picking out a theme can be stressful and tough. There are so many themes to choose from, and each class may attempt to outdo the theme of the previous class. With that in mind, here is a list of my ten favorite prom themes:
- Masquerade – Masks veil the identity of your mystery date until after the prom court in announced.
- Paris by Moonlight – This lovely romantic theme finally gives you a chance to speak French, if only for one night.
- Project Runway – Dressing in the best clothing is the game, complete with a fashion show.
- Casino Nights – Poker, Craps, or Roulette. You may even win a prize at the end of the night.
- Shanghai Nights – You may be inspired to go on summer vacation to China with this theme.
- Under the Sea – Remember the theme of the dance Marty’s parents attended in “Back to the Future”? This is that theme.
- Hollywood theme – This is an easy theme to setup, especially here in Southern California.
- Cinderella and Prince Charming – This could be the dream prom of two high school sweethearts.
- New York, New York – The prom committee would face the daunting task of making the dance hall or banquet hall look like New York as much as possible.
- “Decades” theme – Bring back the Roaring ‘20s or Disco ‘70s for a new generation.
These are some classic, creative and fun prom themes. You could even come up with your own original prom theme and go down in your school’s history for creating a magnificent prom. Prom night is a significant point in your high school memories. Just remember that the prom theme isn’t everything; what counts is what you make of your night.